Saturday, November 22, 2008

Nearer and Stiller

The awakening soul. The soul that has gone hungry will go on being filled.

When I read of John Piper sharing of his church member, Irene Peterson, a 100 year old lady who on her 100th birthday says these poetic words,

Trust Him when dark days assail thee,
Trust Him when your faith is small,
Trust Him when to only trust Him,
Is the hardest thing of all.

I was held in a grace ransom. A ransom not paid by me. Not even a penny. A ransom God paid on the cross.

Nearer and stiller. When I wonder at the cross that stood on Calvary is God. A God who willing hang on the cross, perhaps I never sat under that Cross and wonder why God would want us to love Him as Irene Peterson said, is the hardest thing of all like in the trust of God, I have not understood the magnitude of God's love.

Divine love. The holiness of God has placed His goodness as awe. I look at Micah 7:18-20 which reads

18 Who is a God like You, Pardoning iniquity And passing over the transgression of the remnant of His heritage? He does not retain His anger forever, Because He delights in mercy. 19 He will again have compassion on us, And will subdue our iniquities. You will cast all our[g] sins Into the depths of the sea. 20 You will give truth to Jacob And mercy to Abraham, Which You have sworn to our fathers from days of old.

And then I remember John Piper sharing of the faithfulness of his longest living church member, I see a testimony of God's covenantal faithfulness.

I have not dwell deep into God's grace yet. I have not dwell deep in the pillow of God's grace yet. My eyes are so weak. My love for God is so weak.

Nearer and stiller my soul needs to walk. Nearer and stiller, my heart must sing. The goodness of my God is abundant in mercy, oh His pardoning grace, His delight in mercy and not anger, His willingness to give compassion..oh how I wish I could write Him a song on this, that my heart may keep on rejoicing in Him till the end of my life that I will sing of His mercies.

There is a glory of God I have not seen but I want to see.

My God, You are a beautiful Saviour. Jesus, the morning flower that blooms forever. Stay my heart in worship, I have been rude to God's love. Help me never to be.

No comments: