Thursday, August 21, 2008

God is the Gospel

Just had lunch. And its friday.
Some thoughts cross my mind just. It was in the morning. Myriad of them.

Infact as I pondered on certain things, I realise quite a few things. I believe it is the reaction of What John Piper said in His DVD series, "God is the Gospel." means.

John Piper ask this question. Why did God created things? And being things they are of 2nd order to the creator. Nothing created can be higher. But all these things exist for the potential of idolatary. He went on to explain and illustrate it by bread and water. Jesus said He is the bread of life and also whoever comes to Him will not thirst. The creation of bread and water can allow us to transpose whatever natural need, to have the emotion to understand what it means to be hungry and thirsty for spiritual senses. The creation of things with the potential of idolatary or even joy could elevate us the understanding that we can have a delight above all delights, a love of God above all loves so there is constrast...there is a difference. The more I think about it, that is so true. Light and darkness. Treasure and junk. Why Paul can say I count all things as loss that I may gain Christ.

Tonight I am sharing about Christ being our treasure. Somehow watching the DVD has illuminate and gave me a living perspective about Christ. If Jesus isn't in heaven, would I still want to be there?

I have faced a number of disappointments in life. Mainly relationships. Yet those disappointments has reinforced the unfailing love of God. I don't think I am building an Ah Q mentality. We transposed hunger we realised in physical hunger what is spiritual hunger because we can draw understanding from a physical point of view, what hunger meant. If we have desire for something, we earnestly want it more. The word hunger, put together with God meant something if we experienced fasting, if we experienced hunger physically before. A Godward hunger. Spiritually we will understand our greater need for God. Hence, upon hindsight, these disappointments are necessary I believe in the journey I have with God to let me know His unfailing love for me. I have met failures before so I can in a sense understand what success and perfection means.

There is a need for me to learn this. A bent of my own heart to let toys rule. To let worldly desire rule. No matter how I try to deny it, unless I go through the school of life and with God opening my eyes, I would never understand all these lessons.

I must learn these that I will see a greater treasure of God. God indeed is the gospel. I must habour in my own heart this, I want to be in heaven because Jesus is there.

No comments: