Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Is Godliness the exception and not the norm?

I think this is a good question. Coz if I may answer it, the answer to me is obvious.
Perhaps it gets clearer if I read the OT. How much of Israel history do we see faithfulness and revival?

Few.

How about the NT church age? I can say that Paul has epistles after epistles correcting errors. And Christ brings charges to the 7 churches in Asia of their errors?

I say Godliness of man comes with 2 right perspective of God. Fear of God and the grace of God.

Let me talk about fear.

I conclude that the fear of the Lord is almost non-existant in Christianity today when our attention is warped towards love and grace. In Luke 12, Jesus confronts the religious gurus of His day, the scribes and Pharisees. No doubt they wield great power and influence, Jesus pointed say to the thousands that are gathered on the real fear man must have. It is not towards man. He says to the masses, "Fear Him who is able to destroy both body and soul!"

Jesus pointed brings us what we all lack. The lack of fear for God. The fear for men is natural and its constantly a snare.

Every wonder why none of us pursue holiness and thirst for righteousness? The lack of fear, a reverence for Jehovah God.

How about grace?

John Piper says he approves of 2 man in the bible. Saul (Paul) approved Stephen of his stoning. Both are examples of grace. Stephen displayed courage to speak for God and hence stoned. Saul displayed murderous zeal and was converted by Jesus on the road of Dasmascus displayed God's deliverance of his murderous ways to become the most effective minister of the NT ever. Paul showed grace. Grace that God can transform any man to fear Him as a mark of grace.

I don't want to put fear in a negative light. Hence I want to describe that Stephen being bold fears God. Paul being bold fears God. They fear that they do not demonstrate what the grace of God has given to them that they live a life that demonstrates bestowed divine grace.

I shudder to think that if a person sees grace and not sees fear. The absence of one or the other brings licentiousness to sin as Jude writes in his short epistle. Fear without grace stops us from doing anything for God. Grace without fear stops us from doing anything "right" for God. Taken together they are important. What moves you?

I hope we see fear and grace together. I hope fear drives you from sin. To live holiness and righteousness and grace drives you to sinners to tell them of the fear of God and the grace that is available.


Is Godliness the exception and not the norm. Yes it is. Coz not many see fear and grace together.

I hope you do.

No comments: